Friday, April 3, 2020

A Great Online Resource for New York's Civil War Regiments


Looking for information on New York's Civil War regiments? If you haven't checked this out, you should. The New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center has a fantastic database of all the state's units. I've found it invaluable for several projects, including my recent book, The Fight For the Old North State, which featured several units from the Empire State. For each regiment, the site provides a brief service history, photographs, muster rolls and rosters, a detailed bibliography, newspaper clippings, and, in some cases, images of banners from the New York State Battle Flag Collection.
For me, the newspaper clippings have been particular useful. Some come from publications not readily available online. In my current book project on Union operations against Richmond during the Gettysburg Campaign (the "Blackberry Raid"), the Museum's resource has provided a bonanza of detailed soldier accounts about Union operations against Richmond's defenses as well as the railroads in Hanover County in June and July of 1863.  

Current Speaking Schedule: 2024-2025

I've had a great time over the last year talking to groups about my latest book -  Gettysburg's Southern Front . The best part is me...