Sunday, June 3, 2018

The 1864 New Bern Expedition: Abram P. Haring's Medal of Honor Letter

Abram P. Haring's Medal of Honor File- NARA
My North Carolina book from University Press of Kansas [UPDATE- now available: The Fight for the Old North State] includes several chapters on the often overlooked Confederate expedition against New Bern in early February 1864. During the first hours of that operation, a handful of Union soldiers led by young First Lieutenant Abram Pye Haring of the 132nd New York delayed a large Confederate force along a narrow stream known today as Bachelor Creek. Decades after the war, Haring would receive the Medal of Honor for his remarkable stand that day.

As part of my research, I looked at Haring's files in the National Archives and, among other things, learned that Haring, on his own behalf, applied for the Medal of Honor ("Medal of Merit" as he called it) in an 1890 request to General Thomas Vincent in Washington. Here is a transcript of that letter.


◈   ◈   ◈   ◈   ◈
Abram P. Haring (Archive.org)

New York, June 13, 1890
Genl. T. M. Vincent
A. A. G., U. S. A.
Washington, D. C.

General,
I beg to call your attention to the following statement and if consistent for the award of a Medal of Merit I should be pleased to be put in the way of getting it. On February 1, 1864, I was in command of the out post picket with 11 men on the reserve at Bachelors Creek [also called Bachelor or Batchelder's Creek] near Newberne, N.C. When attacked in force by Confederates under Genl Pickett. We held the position for two hours before we was reinforced by three companies of our regiment. The attack and resistance was principally during the first two hours – we were outnumbered by thousands – finally flanked and compelled to retire.
Haring's 1890 Letter, NARA RG 94


The resistance first made, defeated the object of Genl Pickett – i.e., the capture of Newberne and is now published for the first time to my knowledge by Townsend, titled “Honors of the Empire State in the War of Rebellion“ pages 348 + 349 – also Vol 41 page 136. 
For the same action I believe Genl Innis N. Palmer who was in command of Newberne, was promoted to full Maj Genl. U.S.A. I enclose a copy of [the] order issued by colonel comdg regiment.
I may add that I was wounded Mch 8, 1865 in battle near Kinston, N.C.

Respectfully yours,
Abram P. Haring
Late 1st lieut Co. G
132nd Regiment N.Y. Vol Infty

Current Speaking Schedule: 2024-2025

I've had a great time over the last year talking to groups about my latest book -  Gettysburg's Southern Front . The best part is me...